by Edited by Howard E. Barbaree and William L. Marshall
From leading scientists and practitioners, this authoritative work examines what is known about the nature and development of juvenile sexual offending, the consequences for both victims and perpetrators, and approaches to assessment, intervention, and relapse prevention.
From leading scientists and practitioners, this authoritative work examines what is known about the nature and development of juvenile sexual offending, the consequences for both victims and perpetrators, and approaches to assessment, intervention, and relapse prevention. Pathways of normal sexual development are described, and the biological, social, and psychological processes that lead to sexual conduct problems are investigated. The book explores how juvenile offenders are dealt with in the mental health and criminal justice systems, reviews available psychological and pharmacological treatment approaches, and provides research-based recommendations for improving existing practices.
"Excellent....Shows how far our understanding of the juvenile sex offender has progressed. The editors have brought together the leaders in the field to review the broad knowledge base on this topic, including a number of empirically based studies. Mental health and criminal justice professionals reading this text will greatly improve their understanding of the juvenile sex offender."
-Gene G. Abel, MD, Behavioral Medicine Institute of Atlanta
"Why do young people commit sexual crimes? What can we do about it? If you are seriously interested in these questions, read this book. I was encouraged to observe that the loose speculation that has long dominated thinking about adolescent sex offenders is increasingly being replaced by empirically supported arguments. The contributors are smart, disciplined, and compassionate. I learned a lot."
-R. Karl Hanson, PhD, Corrections Research, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada
"The book comprehensively addresses the many recent advances in knowledge about the development and causation of juvenile sexual offending, as well as current approaches to risk assessment and treatment. It is invaluable for anyone who works with this population within the criminal justice system or the civil commitment system."
-Greg S. Bal, JD, defense attorney
396 Pages, Size: 6" x 9"
1. An Introduction to the Juvenile Sex Offender: Terms, Concepts and Definitions, Howard E. Barbaree and William L. Marshall
2. Normal Sexual Development, John Bancroft
3. The Effects of Child Sexual Abuse and Family Environment, Howard E. Barbaree and Calvin M. Langton
4. Biological Factors in the Development of Sexual Deviance and Aggression in Males, Ray Blanchard, James M. Cantor, and Lori K. Robichaud
5. Social and Psychological Factors in the Development of Delinquency and Sexual Deviance, Stephen W. Smallbone
6. Adolescent Sexual Aggression within Heterosexual Relationships, Jacquelyn W. White, Kelly M. Kadlec, and Stacy Sechrist
7. The Female Juvenile Sex Offender, John A. Hunter, Judith V. Becker, and Lenard J. Lexier
8. Conduct Problems and Juvenile Sexual Offending, Michael C. Seto and Martin L. Lalumi re
9. Assessment and Treatment of Criminogenic Needs, Gary O'Reilly and Alan Carr
10. Risk of Sexual Recidivism in Adolescents Who Offend Sexually: Correlates and Assessment, James R. Worling and Niklas L ngstr m
11. Conceptual Issues in Treatment Evaluation Research with Juvenile Sexual Offenders, Calvin M. Langton and Howard E. Barbaree
12. Legal Consequences to Juvenile Sex Offending in the United States, Elizabeth J. Letourneau
13. Research on Adolescent Sexual Abuser Treatment Programs, David L. Burton, Joanne Smith-Darden, and Sarah Jane Frankel
14. A Reevaluation of Relapse Prevention with Adolescents Who Sexually Offend: A Good Lives Model, Jo Thakker, Tony Ward, and Patrick Tidmarsh
15. Disposition and Treatment of Juvenile Sex Offenders from the Perspective of Restorative Justice, Mary P. Koss, Karen Bachar, and C. Quince Hopkins
16. The Pharmacological Treatment of the Juvenile Sex Offender, John M. W. Bradford and Paul Fedoroff
Stock: Usually ships in 4-8 business days!