"This is an extremely thoughtful, wise, and empathic guide for the parents of teens caught up in the painful and complex web of self-injury. Both down to earth and practical, the book draws on substantial clinical experience and the latest scientific data. Dr. Hollander takes the mystery out of this confusing but all-too-prevalent behavior, debunks the many myths surrounding it, and deftly delineates state-of-the-art treatment principles. Dr. Hollander has done us all a great service with this book."
-William S. Pollack, PhD, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School; author of Real Boys
214 Pages, Size: 6" x 9"
Introduction: Kids Who Deliberately Hurt Themselves
I. Understanding Self-Injury
1. Fact versus Fiction: Bringing Self-Injury into the Light
2. What Sets the Stage for Self-Injury?
3. How Does Hurting Themselves Make Some Kids Feel Better?
4. DBT: The Right Therapy for Your Teen
II. Helping Your Teen in Treatment and at Home
5. Making the Most of DBT
6. Resetting the Stage: How to Help Your Teen Restore Emotion to Its Proper Place
7. Writing a Better Script: New Ways to Discourage Self-Injury
8. Taking Care of Yourself to Take Care of Your Teen
9. How to Speak with Siblings, Friends, and the School about Your Child's Troubles
Appendix A. Effectiveness of Adolescent Intensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
Appendix B. Intensive Treatment Programs
Stock: Usually ships in 4-6 business days!