by Neil Lavender Ph.D., Alan Cavaiola Ph.D.
The exercises and worksheets in this powerful workbook were created by noted psychologists who have been researching and working with the self-absorbed for more than twenty years.
When you interact with a friend, family member, intimate partner, or coworker who is a narcissist, there's no give and take. The relationship only goes one way-their way-and you constantly have to adjust your own expectations and behavior to meet their standards. That's because people with narcissistic personality disorder, or NPD, are preoccupied with seeking admiration and power and find it difficult to empathize with others' feelings. And, as if maintaining a good relationship with a narcissist weren't hard enough, most narcissists do not realize or believe that they have a disorder at all. That's why The One-Way Relationship Workbook was created to help you effectively improve and ultimately transform your relationship with the self-absorbed, self-centered, or narcissistic individuals in your life.
The exercises and worksheets in this powerful workbook were created by noted psychologists who have been researching and working with the self-absorbed for more than twenty years. Part I of this workbook helps you understand the mind of a narcissist and how narcissistic behavior affects the way you feel, think, and behave around this person. In Part II, you'll learn practical strategies for making yourself heard during interactions with a narcissist. Eventually, you'll be able to have regular contact with self-absorbed individuals comfortably, effectively, and without frustration.
152 pgs / 8" x 10"
- Acknowledgments Introduction
- Defining Personality Disorders A Growing Trend How This Book Can Help You How to Use This Book
- PART 1
- Understanding Narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- CHAPTER 1 The Narcissistic Personality From Self-Loathing to Healthy Self-Love to Self-Absorbed Defining Narcissism -Narcissistic Personality Disorder Personality Disorder vs. Personality Traits Subtypes or Variations of Narcissistic Personality Disorder Narcissists at Work, Love, and Play How Do Narcissists Get That Way? How the Narcissist Affects You
- CHAPTER 2 Are You Dealing with a Narcissist? The Narcissist Changes the Way You Think, Feel, and Act The Narcissist Takes Advantage of You The Narcissist Engages in Splitting Behaviors The Narcissistic Wound
- CHAPTER 3 Narcissism in Personal Relationships and in the Workplace Narcissists in Romantic Relationships Narcissists as Parents Narcissists in the Workplace
- CHAPTER 4 How the Narcissist Affects You How People Respond Emotionally to Narcissists Moving Beyond Codependence Putting Things into Perspective
- PART 2 Practical Strategies
- CHAPTER 5 Understanding What You Can and Cannot Change Things You Cannot Change Things You Can Change Lowered Expectations or Reasonable Expectations? A Ray of Hope: Corrective Life Experiences
- CHAPTER 6 Setting Limits and Boundaries Valuing Yourself and Increasing Your Self-Worth Empowering Yourself by Setting Boundaries Difficulties with Boundary Setting
- CHAPTER 7 Establishing Better Communication Communication Skills 101 Dealing with Tirades and Temper Tantrums Communicating with Exploitative Narcissists Understanding Your Reactions to the Narcissist Selecting a Communication Style
- CHAPTER 8 Strategies for Managing Narcissists in Friendship, Love, and Family Life Deciding If You Are Ready Choosing What to Change Implementing Change and Reaping the Rewards
- CHAPTER 9 Strategies for Managing Narcissists in the Workplace Some Key Strategies Dealing with the Hot Spots Above and Beyond: Differentiation of Self Developing Your Own Career Values and Goals Resources Recommended Reading Other Resources References