by Mark W. Steege and T. Steuart Watson
Explaining the "whats," "whys," and "how-tos" of functional behavioral assessment, this practical and engaging book is packed with real-world tools and examples. Effective procedures are presented for evaluating challenging behavior in K-12 students, organizing assessment data, and using the results to craft individualized behavior support plans.
Explaining the "whats," "whys," and "how-tos" of functional behavioral assessment, this practical and engaging book is packed with real-world tools and examples. Effective procedures are presented for evaluating challenging behavior in K-12 students, organizing assessment data, and using the results to craft individualized behavior support plans. The authors draw on extensive school-based experience to provide sample reports, decision trees, and reproducible checklists and forms-all in a large-size format with lay-flat binding to facilitate photocopying.
New to This Edition
- Revised throughout to reflect significant advances in the field.
- Provides an updated conceptual model for understanding behavior.
- Three new chapters cover brief functional analysis, behavior-analytic problem solving, and direct behavioral consultation.
- Fully updated coverage of legal issues under IDEIA.
- Includes revised forms and sample reports.
"This comprehensive guide for school psychologists and behavior analysts addresses a wide range of critical topics. The authors' commitment to sharing strategies for brief as well as more intensive approaches is critical to school settings that may lack resources and personnel for conducting functional behavioral assessments (FBAs). I really appreciate the wealth of information in this book."
-Don Kincaid, EdD, Florida Positive Behavior Support Project, University of South Florida
"Steege and Watson successfully meet their goal of helping school-based practitioners conduct FBAs that are both legally defensible and grounded in best practices. The authors clearly and concisely explain the principles of FBA, the research base supporting its use in the school setting, and practitioners' obligations under IDEIA. The inclusion of numerous case examples, sample reports, and practical tools makes this second edition a valuable resource."
-Marie C. McGrath, PhD, Department of Graduate Psychology, Immaculata University
"I like this book and plan to use it in my Positive Behavior Support class. It offers comprehensive, A-to-Z coverage of FBA and its role in providing function-based supports to students whose behavior impedes their responsiveness to educational interventions. It is written in a colorful, lighthearted style, with lots of examples and useful forms. I recommend this book to anyone who teaches preservice classes on FBA or provides ongoing professional development to master's-level classroom teachers."
-Wayne Sailor, PhD, Department of Special Education and Associate Director, Beach Center on Disability, University of Kansas
"I have assigned the first edition of this text in my graduate courses for the past four years. Students have commented on how helpful it is for learning FBA procedures and applying them in their field sites. Alumni also report returning to the book when they are practicing in the field. I am eager to share the updated second edition with my students."
-Jessica Blom-Hoffman, PhD, Department of Counseling and Applied Educational Psychology, Northeastern University
258 Pages, Size: 8" x 10 1/2"
1. Introduction to Functional Behavioral Assessment
2. Genesis of Functional Behavioral Assessment
3. Legal Aspects of Functional Behavioral Assessment
4. Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the Conceptual Foundations of Functional Behavioral Assessments...but Were Afraid to Ask: Or, Basic Principles of Functional Behavioral Assessment
5. Key Elements of Functional Behavioral Assessment
6. Observing and Recording Behavior
7. Indirect Functional Behavioral Assessment
8. Direct Descriptive Functional Behavioral Assessment
9. Brief Functional Analysis of Behavior
10. Behavior-Analytic Problem-Solving Model
11. Function-Based Interventions
12. Sample Functional Behavioral Assessment Reports
13. Direct Behavioral Consultation: Or, "How Do We Get People to Implement Interventions Accurately and Consistently?"
Stock: Usually ship in 3-5 business days!