by Kevin A. Fall, Ph.D., Shareen Howard, M.S., and June Ford, M.S.W.,
This book is the first workbook designed for counselors to help abusers recognize and deal with the issues underlying their behavior. Each technique presented in this manual has been tested in actual groups and refined for inclusion.
BOOK IS OUT OF PRINT
In recent years, awareness of domestic violence and abuse has increased dramatically. As a result, counselors, social workers, and community leaders have advocated not only the punishment of men who batter women, but also treatment through counseling.
One of the most effective means of working with abusers is through battering intervention groups. This book is the first workbook designed for counselors to help abusers recognize and deal with the issues underlying their behavior. Each technique presented in this manual has been tested in actual groups and refined for inclusion. The authors provide case studies and exercises to stimulate active participation by group members. Topics covered include defining abuse, creating trusting relationships, giving and receiving respect, taking responsibility for actions, and creating effective communication.
This workbook is a necessary tool for all helping professionals involved in battering intervention programs. Teachers will also find it useful as a supplemental text for graduate classes in counseling and psychology. Patterned after the Duluth Model and AMEND, this book is easily integrated into existing curricula.
- Chapter One - Defining Abuse and Battering
- Chapter Two - Achieving Nonviolence
- Chapter Three - Exploring and Defeating Intimidation
- Chapter Four - Creating a Trusting Relationship
- Chapter Five - Giving and Receiving Respect
- Chapter Six - Accountability: Taking Responsibility for Yourself
- Chapter Seven - Maintaining Positive Sexual Relationships
- Chapter Eight - Negotiating a Partnership
- Chapter Nine - Cooperation Through Good Communication
- Chapter Ten - Parenting: How to Relate to Your Children
185 pages soft bound
Stock- OUT OF PRINT